A very warm welcome to Capital Whisky Club. The club offers an inclusive, community-led home for everyone passionate about whisky – whether newcomer or seasoned veteran. Since our formation in July 2021 we have grown to over 200 active members, and have raised over £65,000 for charities and good causes.
We meet on the second Thursday of the month (at Melody Whisky Bar in Hammersmith, London) as well as organise regular hybrid events with participants both ‘in the room’ and online. Events take various forms – from brand-led explorations to distillery verticals and horizons together with blind drams evenings and member-led events where participants bring a bottle to present and enjoy!
Membership of Capital Whisky Club costs £55 per year or part thereof, 1st July to 30th June. Membership is currently available at a discount price of £35 until 30th June 2023.
Membership benefits include:
- Access to member events including in-person and online tastings. Tastings are held on the second Thursday of each month, plus ad-hoc at other times.
- 20% discount on all whiskies (both drams and flights) at all partner bars. Some bars offer this once per month on the same day that you take your cage drams; some bars offer this unlimited as many times as you like.
- Cage drams – once per calendar month on any non-tasting night, members can have up to two complimentary drams from the club cage at each partner bar. Members that have been unable to visit any partner bar for six months may request a couple of cage drams by mail.
- Access to Capital Whisky Club exclusive bottles (not available anywhere else)
- Online community via private WhatsApp groups
- Members encouraged to split bottles at cost with other members
Transparency and management
Capital Whisky Club is run on a not-for-profit basis and with a strong emphasis on transparency. As such, all membership fees and other monies received are publicly visible to members in a ‘membership pot’, and the proceeds are utilised to support member events, discount bottlings and selected charities. Club expenses will be fully visible to members, and the Club will periodically poll members for their views on proposed significant expenditures of the pot, and the proportion of the pot to carry over to the next membership year.
The current value of the ‘membership pot’ is:
The inaugural Club administration officers are:
- Matt McKay, President
- Luke Juranek, Vice-President and Member Services
- Kenton Price, Treasurer and Secretary
- Carl Weatherhogg, Venue and Events Manager
- Sabine Glienke, Remote Events Coordinator
The officers of Capital Whisky Club are accountable to the membership and are elected on a two-year basis. All roles are unpaid and run by volunteers who have also paid the membership fee – there are no free or honorary memberships. The next election for roles will take place in the summer of 2023 and all members are eligible to stand.
To apply for membership, please refer to the terms here.